Following the blocking of 20 YouTube channels and two websites for spreading anti-India propaganda and fake news a few days ago, Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur warned on Wednesday that the government will continue to take such measures against those “hatching conspiracy” against the country.
“I had ordered for action against them. I am happy that many big countries across the world took cognisance of it. YouTube also came forward and took action to block them,” Thakur told reporters in Delhi while replying to queries on the issue.
In a “closely coordinated” effort with intelligence agencies, the I&B ministry had in December last year ordered the blocking of 20 YouTube channels and two websites as they were spreading anti-India propaganda and fake news. “And in future also, action will be taken to block any such account hatching conspiracy against India, spreading lies and dividing the society,” the minister asserted.
The government stated in a statement in December that these 20 YouTube channels and websites were part of a “organised disinformation network” operating out of Pakistan and distributing false information against India.
“The channels were used to post “divisive content in a coordinated manner on topics like Kashmir, Indian army, minority communities in India, Ram Mandir, General Bipin Rawat, etc”, it had said.