In his address to the nation Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday urged all states to make migrant workers believe and assure that they will be vaccinated against Covid-19 soon. In his televised address during the spiralling Covid crisis he also said that this assurance by the state will help the migrant workers a lot.
He said that India is currently fighting a “very fierce battle” against the disease and the situation was in control till a few weeks back but the current situation is hitting the country “like a storm,” he added.
With several states imposing partial lockdowns and night curfews, the focus should be to avoid lockdown, said PM Modi.
Here are the five highlights from PM’s address :
- Calling the disease deadliest one he asked people to remain cautious at all times. “Until some weeks ago, the situation was under control. But the second wave of Covid-19 has hit us like a storm,” said the prime minister.
He also appealed all the countrymen together come forward and help the needy ones during the prevailing helpless situation. “I also appeal to the youth to make small committees in their localities to spread awareness about Covid-appropriate behaviour and ensure that their family members don’t step outside unless it is for an important work,” said PM Modi.
- The prime minister also urged all the state to take the migrant workers in confidence so that they remain where the are and not return back their homes. “I appeal to the state governments to keep the migrants workers motivated and urge them to remain where they are. This assurance from the state governments will help them a lot to stay where they are,” he said.
He also said that the migrang workers will get Covid vaccination soon. Last time there were no medicines and infrastructure but this time we have, he added.
- With many states imposing partial lockdowns and night curfews, the prime minister said that we should follow guidelines in a way so that we can avoid lockdown.
“I urge the state governments to consider imposing lockdown only as the last option. All efforts should be made to protect ourselves from lockdown. Our focus should be on micro-containment strategies,” said PM Modi.
- PM Modi said that in the prevailing situation the country should focus upon saving the lives and livelihoods of the people.
“Our efforts are aimed at protecting people’s lives but we should also try to ensure that there livelihood and economic activities aren’t impacted much,” he said.
To ensure that vaccines are available for all our workforce, the centre has extended the vaccine eligibility to all those above age of 18 and from May 1 they all will be vaccinated with vaccines being sufficiently available, said the prime minister.
- Amid the rising shortage of oxygen for treating Covid patients Mr Modi said, “We are working on this speedily. The Centre, the state governments and the private sector, all are committed to ensure that every needy person gets oxygen in time. Efforts are being made at various levels to enhance oxygen production and its supply,” he ensured.