Delhi Chief Minister on Thusday announced a weekend lockdown in order to contain the highly infectious coronavirus. Delhi has been seeing a steep rise in daily Covid-19 cases since last week. However, essential activities like wedding, travelling through trains and flights will be allowed with curfew passes.
All restaurants, malls, gyms and spas will remain closed but movie theatres will be allowed with 30 per cent capacity on weekdays. Restaurants are allowed for home deliveries and takeaways but eating out is banned. Only weekly markets will be allowed to open with all reasonable restrictions.
Referring the second wave as more deadlier the Chief Minister said all social, religious and political gatherings will remain banned and the number of people in weddings and funerals are also limited to 50 and 20 respectively.
“These restrictions are for your sake, for you and your families. It will be inconvenient but these restrictions are necessary to break the chain of transmission,” said Kejriwal addressing through a video conferencing.
“Don’t panic. All essential services will be available through the weekend,” he added
The CM announced these measures after meeting with the Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal and other top officials today morning.
On Wednesday the total cases reported in the national capital stood at 17,282 which was the biggest single-day spike in the capital since the pandemic begin. This rise in cases have made Delhi the worst hit city in the country in the second wave of the deadliest virus.
However, deaths in the capital stood at 100 on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, in India the caseload has touched the mark of 2 lakh in last 24 hours.
Earlier, the CM had said that the lockdown was not any solution to curb the virus spread and it will be only imposed the “hospital system collapses” in the capital.
Delhi was under strict lockdown between March 22 to May 18 last year and after which the capital reopened in a phased manner.