In the most recent spat between the Delhi bureaucracy and the ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), Minister Atishi of Delhi has reprimanded the director and secretary of the Information and Publicity department for publishing a newspaper ad without Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s picture.
Atishi requested in the notice he sent out on Tuesday that the officers provide an explanation within three days as to why the cost of the advertisement should not be deducted from their pay because it was published without the minister-in-charge’s consent.
The notification was sent after the Secretary of the Directorate of Information and Publicity (DIP), citing the Chief Minister’s position as a “undertrial prisoner,” rejected Atishi’s petition to use Kejriwal’s photo in a full-page Independence Day advertisement in newspapers.
The DIP made objections to carrying the chief minister’s photo on August 14, stating that Independence Day is not an occasion for personal projection, “especially in unprecedented circumstances when the individual under question is an undertrial prisoner, being under judicial custody as per due process of law.” The DIP noted that Independence Day is not like any other festival. After being detained on March 21 in relation to a case involving an excise policy, Chief Minister Kejriwal is presently being held in judicial custody.
The advertising, which appeared in newspapers on August 15, was smaller than the dimensions required by the Delhi government and without Kejriwal’s portrait.
On August 14, Atishi authorised the creative idea featuring Kejriwal’s photo and gave the department instructions to run a full-page advertisement in keeping with last year’s procedure. She said that Kejriwal is the head of the democratically elected government of the NCT of Delhi and his photograph embodies the values of democracy and independence.
According to the showcause notice, Atishi further stipulated that the DIP will not disclose any other creative idea other than the one she approved.
“Despite this instruction, the DIP proceeded to release a half-page advertisement without the photo of the CM on August 15 in complete violation of the directions of the minister in-charge which amounts to wilful disobedience and gross insubordination,” the showcause notice said.
“The entire process was compromised and procedurally invalid,” it added. Further referring to the relevant rules under the Government of NCT of Delhi Act, 1991, the notice said the I&P minister is the competent authority to make decisions or pass directions and is primarily responsible for the disposal of business pertaining to DIP.
The notice accused the DIP secretary and director of violating the pertinent GNCTD Act rules, Article 239 AA of the Constitution, the July 4, 2018, Supreme Court ruling, and the All India Services (Conduct) Rules, 1968. It requested an explanation from them as to why no legal action should be taken against them.



